Monday, May 02, 2016
The Health Benefits of Art
What are the health benefits of doing art?
1) Art encourages creative thinking, enhances problem-solving skills and encourage us to come up with our own solution. Art boosts our brain by boosting our imagination and stimulating both left and right brain hemispheres. This helps us deal better with the rational and logic part of the brain and maximize our creativity and emotions. Art also helps the brain get new connections, helping increase brain connectivity and plasticity.
2) Art boosts our self-esteem and provides us with a sense of accomplishment. I see it all the time at the art studio when a student gets all excited that he/she was able to finish a drawing or a painting which he/she never thought she could do it.
3) Art also helps us create new connections in the brain. Learning to hold and handle a brush and/or pencil helps stimulate that connection between the hand movement and the brain.
4) Art works as a type of meditation by helping us concentrate on details and pay more attention to our environment. It also helps us relieve stress and make us feel calm and at peace. Creating art provides the brain with a distraction and a break from unhealthy thoughts and problems.
5) Finally, art helps us with our emotions creating harmony between our heart, soul, and our brain.
So next time you feel a little bit down, distracted or forgetful, just come to the studio and lets create some art.
For more information, visit vanessamontenegro.com
©2016 Vanessa Montenegro
All photos, images and text are copyright protected. Not to be used without permission.
at May 02, 2016
Art Summer Camps for Kids and Teens: I am offering summer art camps this year in June and July. Week 1: June 3 - June 7 D...
A couple of weeks ago, Lauren, one of my art students, told me that she was reading a book called “Daily Rituals: How Artists Work” by M...
One of the questions I am frequently asked by my students is how do I frame my own artwork? With so many options these days, you can frame ...
How to clean paint brushes? Some of my students have asked me to write a blog on how to clean paint brushes. Since I teach both acrylics a...